Friday, February 11, 2011

Weekend Plans

This week has been as normal as is possible when living in Ecuador. I would like to say though that I counted the mosquito bites just on my left foot the other day... The results: 31!!!!! And I am also peeling like a snake from my last sun burn... but besides that all is well.
 I did almost get hit by a car the other night!!! Well actually I sort of did get hit by a car... just not very hard. I was walking in a cross walk at a red light and this guy came zooming up and hit me in the hip! I was extremely irritated. So then he pulls over and he starts asking me if Im okay (and for some reason  I became even more infuriated that he spoke fluent English). I told him I was fine... I think he was genuinely concerned because he continued to drive behind me and ask me if I was okay... which only aggrevated me more because I was less than pleased with him since he just hit me with his car and I really wasnt in the mood for small talk.  But the neighborhood where I live is so small that within two seconds one of the ladys that works in the office pulled up beside me to make sure I was okay and that the guy wasnt being mean to me. Anyway, to make a long story short, I am perfectly fine but I can officially say that I have now been hit by a car. Unfortunately it was in a country where it really doesnt matter because they do nothing about such things.. but it was still a little exciting. All I could think about the whole time was the Dane Cook joke "sometimes when you get hit by a car your shoes fly off"
This week I have been to two Ecuadorian birthday parties... come to think of it I have no idea whose birthday it was at either of them... Last night Eryka and I went grocery shopping (which I have been dieing to do here because they have some weird cool stuff) and then cooked dinner for us and the family of our KEI coordinator. We made huuuuuge salads with fresh tilapia and grilled garlic bread. We have now been instructed to come back every tuesday and thursday to cook dinner, since those are the days that the maid doesnt come.
After dinner we went out to a club where the birthday party was being held. I felt like VIP because my friend Miguel had gotten our names on the guest list so we got to skip everyone in line and hang out in the cool room... and we got wrist bands. I also saw a lot of people from class which was sort of cool to actually recognize people. At the other birthday party I went to this week virtually no one spoke English... I think a few of the people there didnt catch on to the fact that I could speak Spanish.. because one of them kept coming up to me and asking me "You know Michael Jordan?" which I gather was the only thing he knew how to say in English. I told him yes and that Michael Jordan was my father... I dont think he noticed the difference in skin tone.
.
But anyway it is Friday morning which means no class. I am still laying in bed resting since we didnt get in until late last night... I did manage to get up by ten and eat some breakfast. Today I am going with a few friends to explore a little bit more of the city. We spend so much time taking trips that I still dont feel like Ive seen much of Guayaquil. We are going to an artisan market and then hopefully a few museums then Im hoping to grab some dinner or a snack at one of the little restauraunts on the river and then go on this boat ride up the Malecón. The boat ride is ten dollars I think but it includes refreshments. It lasts an hour or two and sails up the renovated board walk along the river. And then tomorrow I am headed to the beach to spend Saturday and Sunday!! Will update with more pictures once I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment