Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oh right... thats what you mean by the rainy season.

 So Ive been caught in a few rain storms since getting here but nothing that compares to the torrential downpour that threatened to drown me last night... It started raining while I was in class but it didnt look too bad so I went to the mall with a few girl friends... well we came out of a store to see this in front of comisariato (which is like Wal Mart) The store was roped off because the water was standing up to 4 inches. I was about ready to tell my friends that we should probably get started building an ark and gathering the iguanas and guinea pigs two by two (but leave behind the giantly mutated cockroaches) when we realized it was still happy hour at Chiles, which means 2 for 1 drinks and free chips and salsa. 

So we took refuge in Chilis and waited with false hopes that the rain would stop.  Anyway we got some Margaritas and some free chips and salsa and got laughed at by the Ecuadorian waitress due to our lack of spanish skills. When we left the restaurant the rain situation was just as bad except a rancid smell of standing water was added to the mix. We finally decided we had no choice but to leave, so I rolled up the legs of my pants and mentally prepared myself for the possibility of having to swim home.

Anyway... I ended up soaked up to my knees and slightly irritated when I got home.
Lesson of the week:  Guayaquil actually sits below sea level in some parts... when the city has a rainstorm expect it to appear as though it was just hit by a minor tsunami.

No comments:

Post a Comment